Friday, August 22, 2014

Shifts in Modern Music Today

Nicki Minaj came out with a new song called Anaconda and I want to review it SO bad, but I realized that I don't like talking about trash. Hmm. There is something that is more prevalent in recent music.

What is with the resurgence of brass instruments in songs? Back in 2011, I remember Lady Gaga The Edge of Glory. It was okay as far as Lady Gaga songs go, but it had something interesting: a sax solo! At first I didn't think much of it, but less than a month later Katy Perry came out with Last Friday Night. This song had a sax solo in it too! Now, I felt a little uneasy, some producer made the gut-sy decision to do that sax solo and now other producers are following suit making it the new standard.

Here are some popular songs that have some sort of major brass part.


Ariana Grande - Problem
Capital Cities - Safe and Sound
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold us
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop Feat. Wanz
Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
PSY - Hangover

There are most likely more, but these come to mind immediately.

Brass = Success. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis's Thrift Shop was majorly successful: another Party Rock Anthem. Thrift Shop reached #1 on the Billboard hot 100 and received numerous more accolades.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's bad that there is a sudden comeback for brass instruments. I just thought it was interesting to see, first-hand, the changes in modern music. What are the '10's going to sound like? '20's? '50's?

~ Melody♫

No comments:

Post a Comment